From Aquatics International:

The American Chemistry Council has produced a video to explain the causes and prevention of accidental chlorine gas exposures.

Contrary to popular belief, these incidents do not only involve pools sanitized with gas chlorine. Instead, a chlorine-base sanitizer accidentally converts into a gas when a chemical feeder continues to operate after the pump shuts off. The chlorine and acid build up in the pipes, with no circulating water to move it through. The substances then react to each other to create a gas, which is pushed out into the pool when the pump turns back on.

This results in the chemical clouds that make headlines.

Read More