BioGuard Raises $97,000 for Cystic Fibrosis
BioGuard and more than 50 of its dealers have raised a total of $97,000 for BioGuard’s Splash for CF campaign. The annual fund-raiser, in partnership with Emily Schreiber’s Laps for CF Foundation, helps provide treatment and assistance to cystic fibrosis patients nationwide. Schreiber, who was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at age 9, began her foundation with a swim event in which donors pledged money for each lap she completed. Today, her foundation has raised more than $2 million. BioGuard donates a percentage of its sales of sanitizer products, in addition to what dealers raise individually. A few BioGuard dealers and their communities found creative ways to contribute to the cause:
- Mermaid Pool, Spa & Patio in Anderson and Muncie, Ind., hosted its 3rd Annual Cornhole Challenge, recruiting teams that paid $20 to participate and enjoy T-shirts, food, prizes and trophies.
- Quality Water Services in Ponca City, Okla., participated in the “Crazy Days Shopping Weekend” at their mall, which highlighted a dunking booth with local celebrities.
- Pools Plus in Elizabethtown, Ky., organized its first-ever Run and Splash for CF 5K Race.
- Zagers Pool & Spa in Jamestown, Mich., hosted a Splash for CF Day, featuring a food booth and a raffle to win a summer’s supply of chemicals. All proceeds from outdoor products such as beach balls, towels and water bottles went to the campaign. Customers were given an opportunity to round up their total for an extra donation.
- Pool World in Spokane, Wash., offered two options to customers — a $1 droplet, which is displayed on its Splash for CF wall, and a $10 bracelet that gives the wearer 5 percent off their retail purchases throughout the season. Pool World has raised more than $20,000 since 2009.
- Thompson Pools in Norman, Okla., raised more than $4,000 by donating a percentage of its sanitizer sales.
For more information, visit www.splashforcf.org.
Halosource/SeaKlear Receives Award
Halosource, parent company of the SeaKlear brand of pool and spa water treatment products based in Bothell, Wash., has been selected for the 2012 Best of Bothell Award in the High Purity Chemicals category of the Bothell Award Program. Each year, the program recognizes local businesses that have shown the ability to use their best practices and implement programs that generate competitive advantages and long-term value. Winners are determined based on the information gathered internally by the program as well as data provided by third parties.
FSPA Draws Crowd For Legislative Day
Approximately 30 members of the Florida Swimming Pool Association met March 13-14 with legislators and staffers at the state capital in Tallahassee for FSPA’s annual Legislative Day.
A focus of the visit was a briefing on the status of companion bills in the state House and Senate that would mandate the licensing of all pool service technicians in the state. FSPA supports the legislation, saying that it would protect consumers by requiring that pool technicians be properly trained. The bills would eliminate the one-year waiting period currently in place to be licensed.
FSPA members also were briefed on other legislation of interest to pool builders in the state.