Whittemore Company’s roots have been traced back to 1919. Located in Roslindale, Massachusetts the company was originally established to distribute feed, grain and coal. In 1949 Whittemore started expanding perlite, operating the third known perlite furnace in the United States. In 1973 the Sheehy family purchased Whittemore Company and moved it from Roslindale to Andover, Massachusetts. The company remained at this location until 1985 when it was relocated to its present site in Lawrence, Massachusetts. Expansion processing of vermiculite was added in 1993, as well as a blending production line for custom products. Today the company manufacturers a wide range of standard and customized products that are used in variety of market applications in the horticultural, construction and industrial sectors.