From legal issues to warranty changes and new players, retailers made some of the biggest pool and spa industry headlines of 2013. With the year coming to a close, here’s a look back at five of our most popular stories from the past 12 months.
1. Pool Retailer Sued for OT Early this spring, a former employee of Phoenix-based Leslie’s Poolmart Inc. filed a lawsuit against the company. The suit, regarding overtime pay, was filed in California on behalf of Keith Cunningham. The case is currently in arbitration.
2. Clorox Enters Pool Marketplace The Clorox Co., maker of the iconic brand of household bleach, announced that it will be introducing a line of pool and spa care products in 2014. The company has partnered with KIK Custom Products, a Toronto-based maker of household cleaners, pool and spa treatment products and pharmaceuticals.
3. ‘Big 3’ Revise Warranties Three major pool equipment manufacturers – Hayward Pool Products, Pentair Aquatic Systems and Zodiac Pool Systems – rolled out new warranty programs in November. Plans are designed to encourage DIY homeowners to use certified dealers to install products.
4. Why You Should Never Worry About Yelp Reviews Pool & Spa News Blogger Matt Giovanisci shared the secrets of dealing with Yelp reviews and other social media feedback.
5. East Coast Firm Declares Chapter 11 On March 24, Manchester, Conn.-based Namco LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. It announced a restructuring plan in July.
What was your favorite retailing story of the year? Let us know here, or via Twitter @poolspanews.